It’s a penny auction, no wait, it’s not a penny auction! So why are we reviewing it? Well, we think that TopHatter is a great penny auction alternative. TopHatter is a free to bid website (you never pay for bids) which (we think) used to be a penny auction. Who cares! There are some things about TopHatter that we really like, a few things which we do not. So sit back class and prepare to be schooled about TopHatter Auctions
Competition: Low-Medium (we easily win auctions)
TopHatter Coupon Codes: None needed, bids are free
Free bids at sign-up: N/a, bids are free
Other ways to get free bids: N/a, bids are free
- TopHatter Address: 185 Berry St., Suite 2400, San Francisco CA 94107
- Phone number: (405) 242-5339
- Facebook: facebook.com/tophatter/
- Twitter: twitter.com/tophatter
BBB Rating: A+
Editor’s TopHatter Reviews
TopHatter takes the term Entertainment Shopping to the next level. Tophatter is a high-paced free to be auction website which operates hundreds of closing auctions at all times. The volume of auctions offered here seems to outpace some of the largest penny auction websites such as Quibids and DealDash.
TopHatter is a bidding website which is similar to eBay in that 1) the items auctioned are done so by sellers, no TopHatter and 2) bids are fee. However, we think that this auction site is a lot more fun than eBay!
One important note is that TopHatter is NOT a penny auction. That’s right, NOT a penny auction. Bids are free, always.
TopHatter Auction Features
Top Hatter is unique from other online bidding websites in a few different ways:
- Free-to-Bid Auctions: All auctions are free to bid. You only pay when you win plus a shipping fee.
- Many Sellers: Items auctioned on Top Hatter are done so by other vendors. So there are basically thousands of vendors auctioning products at all times. Similar to ebay, but much more fun and fast-paced.
- High Auction Volume: The volume is really hard to quantify as a user. It’s huge, visit the site and you’ll see.
Common TopHatter Auctions
- Home goods
- Gift cards of all shapes and sizes
- Laptops and tablet computers
- Video games and video game consoles
- Headphones, MP3 players
- Digital cameras including SLRs
- Purses, Jewelry, Art
- Tons of other stuff
- Shipping price: Check the shipping price before bidding, some sellers
- Shipping time: Watch the estimated shipping time. In some cases, it can take a couple weeks for shipping
- Plan to win: In our experience, we won a good majority of auctions leading us to believe that vendors are willing to sell product at a low cost
- Cancel if you need to: If you win an auction and don’t want the item, you need to cancel it within your account. East to do and avoids your account from being cancelled.
TopHatter.com shipping and fees
As a bidder, Top Hatter does not charge any fees. However, when you win an auction, the seller will charge a shipping fee which in some cases can be more than the price of the item. Just keep an eye on it before bidding.
Is TopHatter a scam?
We don’t think so. TopHatter has a great BBB rating, lots of auctions, and is free to bid. Nothing we see causes concern.
TopHatter Pros and Cons
- TopHatter Pros: Free bids, countless auctions, fast paced and fun, easy to win auctions
- TopHatter Cons: Some products have long shipping times
TopHatter Bidder Ratings and Reviews
Submit your review
I have received everything I ordered so far, but EVERYTHING I mean EVERYTHING advertised a 14-24k gold ALL only tested @ 10-12k Gold and thin. You will also notice even though you can submit feedback for your purchases none of it shows up like in ebay for the seller or for the product. I'd say be careful and dont buy anything serious, think of it as crap stuff.
I've been bidding for a couple weeks now. It's really easy to "win" auctions. So much so that it feels like everyone wins. Shipping is slow from some sellers but the price can't be beat.